Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I'm going to write an essay about how readers get jealous of fictional characters. Do you ever become so jealous of a fictional character that you dislike them because they have what you don't? And, if you could be any fictional character, who would you choose? I'm reading The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, for the Loganberry Book Club, and both narrators are way more intelligent than I am. They're so smart, and offer deep, compelling thoughts and epiphanies on every page. I lust for a mind that can make those kinds of connections. I'm not sure if I like either one of them yet, but I do feel jealousy creeping in, shaping my emotional connection. I wouldn't want to be them, I don't think-- I'm not sure what fictional character I would want to be, but I'm going to think about it, and hope you do to, and pass me on your thoughts.

No comments: